I think, perhaps, writers have a love/hate relationship with words. We love them when they flow, and curse them when they do not.
Words…they are fascinating entities.
Take for example, yesterday’s daily prompt, rebel.
Rebel can be used as either a noun or a verb.
As a noun, rebel describes a person who rises up against authority. For example:
- The single-minded rebel picked up her sign, and took her first step, of many, in the 2017 Women’s March.
As a verb, the word rebel is defined as…the action one takes in order to resist, reject, or rise against authority. For example:
- To a young Susan B. Anthony, a male schoolteacher once told her there was no need for her to learn long division because “a girl needs to know how to read the Bible and count her egg money, nothing more.” She never forgot the slight. As a result she chose to rebel against the established patriarchal society. (view info)
Words such as this are called, homographs. (homos for short)
Homographs may be pronounced the same (homonyms), or they may be pronounced differently (heteronyms, also known as heterophones).
Whether homos or heteros, these words can prove to be tricky for any writer.
There are many homos lurking about, and they can easily be overlooked unless they are outed. I thought it would be fun to bring some of the homos out of hiding.
Lets have a gay time, playing with some homos:
- Fifty Shades of Grey contains little agape love, so, she read with her mouth agape, and turned the pages quickly.
- With needle and thread, she had to, once again, sow her split pants. This caused the fat sow in the pig pen to scowl, because all she wanted to do was roll in the mud.
- In one minute flat the roaring giant became a minute mouse.
- Johnny was lonely and moped about, until he saw a clown drive by on a moped.
- She surveyed the beautiful object she held within her hand, and for the hundredth time wondered why anyone would object to its place in the museum.
- Trump loves putting on the green; however, I think it’s high time he enjoys putting his duties before his fun.
- Timmy tried to wind his watch, but in the process he accidentally broke wind.
- The proceeds from the charity raffle were carefully counted, while everyone held their breath in hope it proceeds last years count.
- Kathy watched the boys as they disappeared…she desperately wanted to row her own boat, but when she looked at the ground she realized there was still a row to hoe.
Please feel free to join in the fun!
Search your tack box of words, pick out your favorite homos, and tack them to this list!
Today I couldn’t see the forest for the homos!
Disclaimer…mistakes found in this posting are strictly the homo’s fault.
PS – I’m as gay as they come, so nothing in this post is intended to offend any homo.